Try this lentil shepherd’s pie (or shepherdess pie) the next time you want a hearty and delicious vegan (or vegetarian) dinner. It is packed full of veggies, has lentils for protein, and is topped with mashed potato for the ultimate in comfort food.
How to make lentil shepherds pie
There are times when you want to eat something hearty and delicious but don’t want to use animal products. In these cases, you might find yourself looking for an alternative to traditional shepherd’s pie or cottage pie.
Here’s a recipe for a delicious vegetarian or vegan version of shepherd’s pie that uses lentils instead of meat. The dish is packed full of nutrients and fiber, making it perfect for vegetarians and vegans alike. You can add cheese, or not depending on your diet (or preference!).
Lentil shepherd’s pie recipe card
Lentil Shepherd’s Pie
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1 large brown onion finely chopped
- 1 stick of celery finely diced
- 2 medium carrots grated or shredded
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Rosemary and thyme fresh or dried [Note 1]
- 2 cans lentils 15oz/ 425g cans, drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup frozen peas
Mashed potato topping
- 3 lb potatoes russet or gold varieties are best
- A pinch of salt for the cooking water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- Optional: 3 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Scrub and dice the potatoes, and place in a large pot of salted water. Bring to a boil, then simmer until potatoes are tender but still firm, approximately 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, finely chop the onion and celery, and shred or grate the carrots. Crush the garlic cloves.
- When the potatoes have finished cooking, drain, add the oil, mash and set aside while you prepare the pie filling.
- Preheat the oven to 430°F/220°C.
- Then heat a drizzle of oil in a large frying pan over a high heat, and saute the onions until browned. Add the garlic, celery, carrot, and herbs, and cook until softened (approx. 5 minutes).
- Add the tomato paste, and stir through the vegetables.
- Add the lentils, mustard, stock, and frozen peas. Lower heat to a simmer and cook,
stirring occasionally until sauce starts to reduce (approx. 5 minutes).
- Transfer the lentil mixture to a medium baking dish, and spread the mashed potato on top. Use a fork to create peaks on the surface of the mashed potato. Optional step: sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until the potato top is browned, or cheese is melted and bubbling.
- If using fresh herbs, pick and finely chop the leaves.
You may also like: