Cauliflower is one of the most underrated vegetables in my opinion. It is truly versatile, very healthy, delicious and filling.
If the only way you cook cauliflower is boiling in a pan of water then you are doing it wrong.
Cauliflower is best roasted. You can flavor it any way you like, and also cut in any way you like to match whatever type of meal you are making. Try:
- Cutting into florets for basic roasted cauliflower side dish
- Slicing into 1 inch thick slices to make cauliflower steaks
- Chopping into small pieces to make cauliflower crumble (this is awesome in tacos or anywhere you might otherwise use mince)
For this recipe I have used garlic, turmeric and paprika for seasoning, but you can add any that you like. Taco seasoning, chermoula or Cajun seasoning are all awesome.
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon pesto
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Remove the outer green leaves from the cauliflower, rinse and pat dry.
- Cut cauliflower into slices, florets, or dice (approx 1/2inch).
- Place olive oil, garlic, turmeric and paprika in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cauliflower, to the bowl, and mix to coat with the oil and seasoning (steaks can be brushed with the mixture instead of placing in the bowl).
- Place cauliflower on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and place in the oven to roast for 10 minutes.
- Gently stir the cauliflower pieces or flip cauliflower steaks, and return to the oven to roast for 5-10 more minutes until golden and tender (note cauliflower steaks may need to be flipped again and roasted for an additional 5-10 minutes due to thickness).
- Transfer the roasted cauliflower to a serving platter, drizzle with pesto and top with toasted almond flakes to serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 158mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 5g