A vegan version of family favorite mac ‘n’ cheese.
Vegan mac ‘n’ cheese
How to cook a vegan version of macaroni cheese.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp white flour
- 4 cups plant milk of your choice (unsweetened)
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- 4 cups cooked macaroni (2 cups dry, cook according to packet instructions)
- drizzle olive oil
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
Cook the sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over a medium heat.
- When it is hot, add the flour and cook, stirring, until it begins to bubble (approx. 1 minute).
- Add the milk gradually, stirring briskly so that each portion is well mixed in without forming any umps (use a hand whisk is necessary).
- Lower heat and continue to stir while the sauce thickens (approx. 5 minutes).
- When the sauce has thickened, but is still pour-able, remove it from the heat and add the other sauce ingredients. Start with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Mix thoroughly, taste, and add extra of any ingredient if required.
Bake the macaroni
- Add the cooked macaroni to the pan and mix well.
- Transfer the macaroni and sauce to a baking dish, and sprinkle the breadcrumbs evenly over the top.
- Bake in the oven at 360°F until the top starts to brown.
- Serve with a crisp green salad on the side.